Chinese food is one of those things that I have always thought would take too many ingredients and preparation to ever make at home. How sorely mistaken I was. My wonderful husband bought me a deep fryer for Christmas this year, and in order to repay him, I decided to make him some homemade Orange Chicken! My husband is a huge fan of Chinese food and he was eternally grateful to me for surprising him with this delicious homemade dish. This is pretty much one of the tastiest things I have ever made and I have already made it for my husband's side of the family just to show off how utterly delicious it truly is. Make this Orange Chicken and I can guarantee you that you will feel an overwhelming sense of satisfaction spend the entire day strutting proudly around your house.
- 2 lbs boneless & skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1.5" cubes)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- salt (about 1/2 teaspoon)
- pepper (about 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (or you can use the little squeeze bottle!)
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 2-1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Chopped green onions (to garnish)
- Oil (for frying)
Heat deep fryer to 375 degrees.
Combine flour, salt and pepper in a medium bowl (for coating). Dip chicken pieces in beaten egg and toss in flour mixture to coat. Place chicken in deep fryer and fry until pieces are lightly browned and chicken is cooked through.
In a medium saucepan, combine water, lemon juice, orange juice, rice vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, orange zest and ginger. Bring to a boil. In a separate bowl (small) combine cornstarch and cold water. Add to sauce mixture. Cook sauce for 4-5 minutes or until sauce is nice and thick.
Pour sauce over chicken pieces and mix well. Garnish with green onion.
Today's creative blog